Middle School News – November 12, 2020

November 13, 2020

Greetings to Middle School Families! FYI, this document is posted weekly on the GDRMS website, under News: https://gdrsd.org/gdrms/news/

Newsletter submitted by, Kathi McCollumn, GDRMS Principal: kmccollumn@gdrsd.org.

End of Quarter 1

November 18th will be the last day to turn Quarter 1 assignments in! Please guide your middle schooler to check School Brains for any missing assignments today!

Program of Studies

Here is a link to our Program of Studies so that you and your middle schooler can read up on a description of their Quarter 2 IA classes [Check school brains for Q2 class names]. Students in Remote learning will get a zoom link from homeroom teachers for the initial new IA classes. 

Staff Shout Outs

We love to share positive ‘shout outs’ during our faculty meetings. If you would like to send Kathi McCollumn a shout out for any of our staff members, please do so before Nov 18, when we have our next meeting, and we will read it aloud for all to enjoy!! kmccollumn@gdrsd.org.

Catie’s Closet

https://www.catiescloset.org

The GD Volunteers Club has placed collection bins in each of our buildings that will remain in place until November 20th. Any new or gently used clothing or shoes would be greatly appreciated. Please contact the co-leaders Natalie Gavin, Ana Marchio, and Ava Metzger at ngavin22@gdrsd.us, amarchio22@gdrsd.us, and ametzger22@gdrsd.us.

PTO News

It’s Book Fair Time!!

Our Online Book Fair will be open from November 9th through November 22nd.  All proceeds from this year’s Fair will go to purchasing books for classrooms and the school libraries.  You can find more information here:  https://www.scholastic.com/bf/gdrms.

Free Pizza Thursdays!

Great news! Our cafeteria will be handing out free pizzas in the  parent pick up dismissal line on Thursdays….check this out!! 

Free Pizza Thursdays!

Parent-Teacher Conferences

Teachers will send out specific schedules and sign-up opportunities. 

November 13 & 20: 

• Students in grades 7 & 8  will have Async learning all day (students have independent work). Parents will be invited to sign up for parent teacher conferences.
  • Students in grades 5 & 6 will have typical Friday schedules with  zoom w/teacher in a.m. and  independent work in p.m

December 21, 22, 23: 

• Students in grades 5 & 6 will have parent/teacher conferences. Grade 5 & 6 staff and students are remote: sync teaching (students zoom w/teacher) in a.m. and async (students have independent work) & conferences in p.m. 
  • Students in grades 7 & 8 will have full day remote schedules that follow typical Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

Diversity Club is starting up again!

Diversity Club Information

Health Office News

NEW DISTRICT POLICY – FLU SHOT REQUIRED BY DECEMBER 31, 2020

The State of Massachusetts requires all students enrolled in the GDRSD to have the Flu Shot by December 31, 2020.

Any student that does not submit proof of receiving the Flu Shot to the nurse’s office by December 31, 2020, will not continue to participate in the Hybrid Learning Plan. The student will be moved to full Remote Learning and not be permitted to participate in any school activities including sports. Students may drop of copies to the Health Office

Influenza immunizations are widely available statewide through your healthcare provider and at pharmacies.

The new requirement is an important step to reduce flu-related illness and the overall impact of respiratory illness during the Covid-19 pandemic. It takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body and provide protection against the influenza virus. That’s why it’s best to get vaccinated before influenza viruses start to spread in our community.  

Please send proof of flu immunization to the School Nurse, Laura Gray (5/6) lgray@gdrsd.org; Fax:  978-448-1201; or Pam Fleming (7/8) pfleming@gdrsd.org; Fax 978-448-8470

SEL News Social Emotional Learning

Responsible Decision Making’ 

In November, every student will receive a weekly lesson in this topic: The ability to make constructive choices about personal behavior and social interactions based on ethical standards, safety concerns, and social norms.  The realistic evaluation of consequences of various actions, and a 

consideration of the well-being of oneself and others.

★Identifying Problems         

★Analyzing Situations          

★ Solving Problems         

★Evaluating          

★Reflecting         

★Ethical Responsibility           

★Compassion           

★Decision-Making

Here’s this week’s links that parents can use at home:  Guide For Teaching Kids The Decision Making Process Steps

Most Recent ‘GDRMS Has Pride Posts’

November 6, 2020 October 30, 2020

October 23, 2020 October 16, 2020

Reference Links:

Sign up for GDRHS Honor Society Tutoring

Early Dismissals for Hybrid or Remote Students [To be completed by parent for any early dismissal]

How to order lunch

GDRMS Website

Library Books North and South Libraries Website  or  https://bit.ly/GDMSlibrary 

Upcoming Dates

Nov 9 – 22 –  Virtual Book Fair:  https://www.scholastic.com/bf/gdrms.

Nov 12 & 19 – Previously listed as half days for parent conferences. THESE WILL NOT be half days, they will be typical Thursdays.

Nov 13 & 20 – Grades 7 & 8 Parent/Teacher conferences all day; asynchronous independent student work all day

Nov 18 – Last day of Quarter 1 – all assignments due

Nov 20 – Square One Art upload due square1art.com/shop/upload

Nov 25 – ‘Report Cards’ Live in School Brains 3pm

Nov 25 Half Day, All students/staff remote 

Nov 26-27 No school, Thanksgiving break

Dec 1 – Square One Art Parent ordering due 

Dec 1 – Picture Re-take day for all students, more info to follow

Dec 10 – Grade 8 Quarter 1 Awards Zoom, 11:50, teachers will give students in remote the link!

Dec 11 – Calendar says ‘half day’…it is actually a full day for students, just like typical Fridays.

Dec 21, 22, 23 Parent Teacher conferences for students in grades 5 & 6; students zoom with teachers in a.m.; work independently in p.m.

P.R.I.D.E.

Positivity: 

• Demonstrate open-mindedness
  • Be accepting and support diverse thinking
  • Have a willingness to learn